My new bird bath

I've been wanting a bird bath for months now, but not just any old bird bath. I wanted something a little different, and I didn't want to pay a lot of money for it. (Champagne taste on a beer budget, that's me.) I'd read on Great Stems how Meredith turned a cracked concrete bird bath into a beautiful and functional piece of mosaic art, and thought, how perfect...but alas, I'm not quite that crafty, or patient for that matter.

It was about this time that one of my neighbors cut down a 30-year-old ash tree that didn't make it through this summer's drought, and left the wood stacked up on his curb for weeks. One evening, I had a brainstorm, and asked Jack to help me select the nicest, straightest, roundest piece of that old ash trunk and haul it home.

And just like that, I had my bird bath's pedestal. Now all I needed was a dish for the top. I found a shallow ceramic planter saucer in a vibrant cobalt blue at Shoal Creek Nursery for $5; apparently someone forgot it when they bought the matching pot. It was pretty, but too small. Then I came across this huge shallow saucer in muted colors at Home Depot. It is glazed, which will make cleaning easier, but it has a bit of texture to it as well. (Birds aren't fond of bathing on slick, slippery surfaces.)

So, what do you think?
Homemade bird bath
I like it pretty well, but I think I'm going to ask Jack to cut the base down a bit at the bottom to level it out some. I left the blue saucer on the ground, nestled in the horseherb, for the toads and ground-dwelling birds. I put a stone in the deep end for smaller birds to step on, but I may take it out to make more room. I've seen one mockingbird go for a dip so far, but it's been a bit cool for bathing. I'm hoping for more visitors this weekend, if it's as nice as the weatherman says it's going to be.

Comments

  1. That is very nice. Don't you love it when things come together like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea. I have a carved tiki pole that I've been trying to figure out how to integrate into the yard. The bird bath idea is perfect and I'm going to have to steal it! :)

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great. It looks very natural. You did good! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I'm planning on placing several simple birdbaths around my yard, as well, nature inspired. It looks great, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you inspired me. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect idea! I had a plastic vegetable dish with a center for dip and compartments, but thought birds might not like the slippery plastic. So I'm going to get a big ceramic pottery dish just like you did. Thanks for the perfect solution! --Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this country idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is the saucer glued to the tree stump, or is it just set on there loose?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this; thank you. But please tell me how tall the stump should be?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment